As a
non-Aboriginal person working with the Aboriginal Literacy and Essential Skills
project my learning curve has been huge and with each day I will strive to
learn more. I don’t think I will ever
know enough. In 2010 the Environis
Institute published a paper entitled “UrbanAboriginal People Study, Background and Summary of Main Findings”. Although I may not agree with all of the
content in the paper the one quote which rings true for me is, “Many NA urban
Canadians give Canadians schools a failing grade when it comes to educating the
population at large about Aboriginal history, culture and experience.” I cannot speak to the schools of today. I can
only address my education. Even after
completing high school and attending college and university there is a huge
void in my knowledge of this country’s history and the First Nations
people. There are so many things I need
to learn. The list is endless: history, traditions, colonization, the Indian
Act, residential schools, the treaty process, the Sixties Scoop, a holistic
approach to education, and cultural safety.
Increasing my knowledge in all of these areas, accepting the wisdom and guidance
of my colleagues and respectfully listening to the stories I hear won’t fill
the void; however, it will reduce the enormity of it. Just keep learning…
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.