Shifting
gears can be really hard. How many of
you remember learning to drive a standard?
I remember the exact moment. I had gone home to help with the family construction
business one summer. It was a hot
summer day we were finishing up a concrete job.
I finished loading the truck with lumber and forms, and then asked the question, “Now what can I do?” My brother said, “Drive that truck back to
town”. Total terror took over my
body. He thought I knew how to drive a
standard and I sure wasn’t telling my younger brother I didn’t know how. Where was I when that lesson was being taught? I quickly responded, “Sure”. How hard can it be? I had watched my dad do it for years……… you wait
until the engine sounds like an airplane then you push the clutch and go to the
next gear. I won’t share all the details; however, laughter
and tears were involved. The truck and I
did make it back to town, although I never did ask how long the clutch on that
old brown truck lasted.
Today as I
look back on the experience, it was a life lesson that I didn’t get until now. I didn’t
learn to drive that truck out of a book or manual. I learned by just being and trying. It also taught me you can’t be in 5th
gear all the time. With each shift there
are learnings and experiences to be gained, even if you don’t think you are
paying attention you are learning. If you
try and stay in 5th gear all
the time you really miss so much of the journey. You don’t see the flowers, hear the birds, smell
the ocean or experience the abundance that surrounds you.
For the
past decade my work life has consisted of literacy, Essential Skills and
community development. This summer my
oldest daughter said, “Mom I hope I can find a career that I am as passionate
about as you.” Wow! That was the moment I truly realized my
passion for reading, learning and working in community had transformed into a
career. How could I have missed
that? The answer is simple I had been in
5th gear far too long. That’s
what I did, I focused on the deliverables of the contracts constantly worrying
about the end results and deliverables, and not paying enough attention to the
incredible learning the journey had to offer.
A project
is about the story you can tell, words of wisdom from a project consultant. The ALES project has helped me to see that
working in high gear is not optimal.
Being accepting of each day’s journey and celebrating every step we take
is the real value. Alegha, Michael and other individuals involved with
the project have guided me through much learning and have shown me so many
different ways of knowing and learning.
They cannot be articulated or explained, they just are.
Now as the
project moves into the final year I want to spend more time in the lower gears
and not racing through to reach the end.
I want to pay attention to the stories, to the magic of the work, and
explore different ways of learning and knowing.
Today I
started. I looked at the big words on my
whiteboard “Things to Do”, I erased tasks and now my “Things to Do” list says:
- Smile
- Be respectful
- Create safety
- Laugh
- Be joy fille
- Strive for balance
The work
will still happen, the project will be completed and best of all I will have
lived the stories in ways I have never understood before.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.