As First Nations we enjoy our technology and our social networks, such as Facebook or twitter; we are able to connect with family and friends or we are able to connect with our home community if we live away from our traditional territories. In my case the Web has become a valuable tool to understand what is going on in my home community, cultural events, dinners, and celebrations.
Often in the Web Literacy world things get a shortened Best Friend Forever is BFF or we add emoticons :) meaning your happy, :( or to indicate we are sad. I have to say my new phone has many apps to keep me entertained; and it’s an extension of my office; I can send emails; take phone calls and update my twitter all at once I am connected and disconnect at the same time!
My Family is also well connected; but we started to notice a trend in our house; we were disconnecting to each other, so now one night a week all our gadgets get put away and we have real conversations; real stories, real language, I have a new word in my language I give to my family as gift! Wow! A new word, one word can make a difference in keeping a language alive and a family together, my granddaughter has good retention of the words as she is still young.
Our old tradition such as songs, dances, and art hold keys to the future we as a people have to create a balance between worlds. What we did prior to contact is sit around a fire a tell stories talk about our connection to Nature and its most powerful spots where we composed our traditional songs, had visions of dance; created art that reflected those deep sates of quietness.
Today we need to get back to tranquil times of refection to have that seep into our minds that most powerful gap of creation. Today I say go to the water and listen and tell stories or go to the water and listen, and then with a book read to your children or loved one.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.