Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Books to Memories


The memories and emotions stirred within me today were not from the exact facts of stories; it was the emotions and warm feelings that sharing a book creates.  Yes, today I had the opportunity to attend a family reading circle....wow! A beautiful young lady chose “Purple, Green and Yellow” a delightful story, by Robert Munsch, chronicling a young girl’s adventures with a multitude of markers.  We laughed; we smiled and predicted what would happen on the next page. 


Her next choice was “Mmm,Cookies”....our joy filled time continued as we explored the silliness of making cookies from play dough and tricking people into eating them while vocalizing the numerous onomatopoeia sound effects. 
 
This evening I connected with my daughters about their favourite books.  We read for hours when they were younger.  I am sure the family library generated a large portion of Chapters sales over the years, and many of those stories continue to grace their bookshelves. As we talked they laughed and remember the numerous stories.  Then I reflected on the very first book I remember being able to read by myself and the sense of accomplishment I felt sharing “A Fly Went By” with my parents. 


There are so many wonderful books that can be purchased at used book stores, borrowed from libraries, or downloaded from websites that will fill the world of a child with joy, knowledge and experiences.  Take sometime today and share a book with a young person in your life. You will undoubtedly transform books into memories. 

The following are just a few of the books that created wonderful memories in my home:







1 comment:

  1. I remember “Charlotte’s Web” read to us in grade three, it was such a fun time for us the words came alive in mind did not want story time to end. At the School I work at they have D.E.A.R. time; Drop Everything And Read, it’s wonderful to see the youth reading in DEAR time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.