
My first year of college I met a retired gentlemen who became my mentor; he had been taking classes as they were free to anyone 65 and over. He loved them as it keeps his mind sharp, we met often then became close friends and I adapted him as my Grandfather he had many stories about his life and learning.
My adopted Grandfather loved words and meanings of words; one day he called me a bellewether which means any entity in a given arena that serves to create or influence trends or future happenings. The term is from old English bellewether and refers to the practice of placing a bell around the neck of a Ram (a wether) leading his flock of sheep, the movements of the flock could be noted by hearing the bell before the flock was in sight.
My mentor led me in the right directions and when I got off track he would bring me back to my path I will be always grateful for his stories and his inspiration to lifelong learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.